2014 STUDENT WORKSHOP
Enhancement of Student Involvement in Oral Health Research
The second Canadian dental research student workshop was held on June 16-17, 2014 at the School of Dentistry, in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta.
Seventy-five (75) oral health researchers, including forty-seven (47) students, attended the workshop. The main elements of the workshop included:
- sessions on networking, student/faculty mentorship, knowledge translation, and communication;
- presentations that explored the challenges faced by international students;
- presentations and a panel discussion on career opportunities facing students of graduate programs in Dentistry;
- a poster competition;
- a dinner with mentors; and
- many opportunities for student interaction, networking, and discussion.
The workshop provided an opportunity for students and faculty to discuss issues of importance to students considering a career in oral health research. Also, workshop participants identified ways to enhance the student experience that will ultimately lead to their future success in oral health research.
Many of the sessions were 'live' streamed on a webcast. Please click below to view the videos.
June 16th, 2014
- Introductions, Welcoming Remarks and Mechanisms for Network Building
- Horses for Courses - exploring new channels for scholarly communication
- Enhancing the Student/Mentor Relationship
- Review Session
June 17th, 2014